Housing Benefit: How to apply
How to apply for Housing Benefit
You can use our online claim form to apply for Housing Benefit.
Intention to claim
You can register your intention to claim if you’re not ready to fill out the form. The date you register will be the date your benefit is calculated from if your claim is successful. You must complete your online claim form within one calendar month of your intention to claim.
You can register your intention to claim online or by phone.
You can call us on 020 8496 3000 Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm.
- Make an online claim for Housing Benefit using our self-service PCs
- Report a change in your circumstances if you are already claiming benefit
- Drop off evidence and information to support your benefit claim
If you are housebound and don’t have any family or friends who can help you, call us on 020 8496 3000 and give a brief reason why you need a visit.
Providing evidence to support your claim
Once you have submitted your claim form you may be asked to provide evidence to support your claim. How and where you can give us evidence to support your claim.
If you disagree with our decision
If you disagree with a decision about your Housing Benefit, you should let us know within one calendar month of the decision letter.
- Ask for an explanation of how we calculated your benefit
- Ask us to look at the decision again
- Appeal against the decision
- Ask for a hearing by a tribunal, run by the Tribunals Service
You can let us know that you want an explanation, disagree with a decision, or want to appeal by completing our online revision and appeal form.
If you need more help with your housing costs (which can include Council Tax) you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- How do I contact the Benefits Service
- What happens if I have somebody aged 18 or over other than my partner living with me?
- When will my Housing Benefit start?
- How we pay your Housing Benefit