Assessment of special educational needs

Last updated 6 March 2013

Special Educational Needs (SEN)

For more information download the SEN Parents Guidebook (2.20MB PDF file.

What are Special Educational Needs?

Children learn at different rates and show a great variety in the ways in which they learn best. Teachers take this into account when they organise their lessons. This is known as differentiating the curriculum

However, some children still find it much harder to learn than others of the same age and may need extra help. This may be because they have difficulties with:

  • Reading, writing, number work or understanding information
  • Expressing themselves or understanding what is being said to them
  • Organising themselves
  • Understanding and following rules and routines
  • Making friends or relating to adults
  • A medical condition
  • A sensory need such as a difficulty with seeing or hearing

These children are said to have Special Educational Needs. (This does not include children who are having trouble keeping up because their first language is not English)

The Department for Education publishes a Code of Practice giving guidance to schools and education authorities on how they should help children with Special Educational Needs.

A DfE booklet explaining Special Educational Needs for parents and carers can be downloaded free from

What is the graduated approach?

Early education settings and schools place great importance on identifying special educational needs early so that they can help children as quickly as possible. Once it has been decided that a child has SEN, teachers should take account of the guidance in the SEN Code of Practice. The graduated approach recognises that children learn in different ways and can have different kinds of levels of SEN so increasingly, step by step, specialist expertise can be brought in to help the school with the difficulties that a child may have.

The school must tell parents when they first start giving extra or different help to their child because they have special educational needs (SEN). The extra or different help could be a different way of teaching certain things, some help from an extra adult, perhaps in a small group, or use of particular equipment like a computer or a desk with a sloping top. In early education settings this help is called Early Years Action and in schools this is called School Action. A child might need help through the graduated approach for only a short time or for many years, perhaps even for the whole of their education.

Differentiating the curriculum

Teachers will access the child’s needs and choose from the range of available approaches and resources to make a selection which best fits the learning styles of a particular child or group of children.

If a child is having difficulties in a particular area they may be given extra help or different lessons. However, this does not necessarily mean that the child has Special Educational Needs.

How schools identify needs

If the teacher thinks a child needs something more than the other children in the class they will talk to the parent and to the school's Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) who may suggest other things the teacher can do. They may consider that the child needs extra support. This is called School Action. The support given will be discussed with the parent and described in an Individual Education Plan (IEP) or a Provision Map. This will be reviewed with the parent and the child at least twice a year.

Usually, with a modified programme of work and /or extra help from the class teacher, a Teaching Assistant or a Learning Mentor the child is able to make the appropriate progress. If he/she doesn't, the SENCO will ask for advice from specialists, such as educational psychologists or specialist teachers from outside the school. They will assess the child's difficulties and learning preferences. Their recommendations will help the school draw up a support plan. This stage is called School Action Plus.

School Action Plus

If the child does not make the expected progress despite these measures the school may request the Local Authority to consider a Statutory Assessment of the child's needs. This process allows the Local Authority to seek advice from everyone that knows the child and determine the support the child needs to make progress in school.

How can you support your child?

The Code of Practice stresses that schools and parents or carers should work closely together to ensure that children with Special Educational Needs make the best progress. Parents are an important contributor to their child’s success in learning.

The school will expect you to:

  • Share any information which may help in planning your child’s education programme
  • Attend meetings to discuss your child’s progress
  • Make sure that you child attends school regularly
  • Support your child’s learning through activities at home whenever possible

You can expect the school to:

  • Give full answers to your questions about your child’s progress
  • Show you the school’s policy on Special Educational Needs and explain how it affects your child
  • Invite you to all review meetings to discuss your child’s progress and their Individual Education Plan (IEP)

At any time you are free to discuss concerns you may have over the provision made for your child. Initial approaches are usually made via the class teacher or SENCO. You may wish to seek advice at this time from the Parent Partnership Service.

If you feel that your child my need a statutory assessment you should in the first instance discuss this with the school. As a parent or carer you have the right to request the Local Authority to consider whether a Statutory Assessment would be appropriate for your child.

If you disagree with the contents of a statement, or a decision not to write one, you can appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal.

Statutory assessment

When a school, parent or other professional makes a request for a Statutory Assessment the Pre-Assessment Panel will consider the evidence presented according to the SEN Code of Practice. On this basis they will decide either that the Assessment should proceed, or write a letter explaining how the school or setting can meet the child's needs using resources that are currently available.

If the Panel decides to make the Assessment they will seek advice from:

  • Parents
  • The school or early-years setting
  • An educational psychologist
  • A doctor
  • Social Services
  • Any other agencies that have worked with the child for example Speech and Language Therapy

The SEN Team will tell the parent of the name of the SEN Officer who will who will be available for advice throughout the Assessment. The SEN Team makes every effort to gather all reports and decide whether to issue a Statement within statutory deadlines.

How Long will the assessment take?

Considering whether a statutory assessment is necessary: Following a request from either parents or professionals. 6 Weeks

Making the Assessment: From the beginning of the assessment to the SEN Officer’s decision whether to issue a statement. 10 weeks

Drafting the proposed statement or note in lieu: From the SEN Officer’s decision to make a statement or not. 2 weeks

Finalising the Statement: From the issue of the proposed statement to the issue of the final copy of the statement. 8 weeks

There are a number of reasons why an assessment may not follow the strict 26-week guide, but even if one part of the assessment is delayed (e.g. collecting reports from other agencies), the remaining parts of the procedure should still comply with the guidelines. Total = 26

What is a Statement of Special Educational Needs?

This is a legal document drawn up by the Local Authority (L.A) which describes a child's Special Educational Needs and details the help they should receive. If the L.A decides to issue a statement it considers the recommendations of all the reports collected during the statutory assessment and sends the parents a proposed (draft) statement. This describes the child's special educational needs and gives details of the extra help the child needs in school. Parents have opportunities to discuss the contents of any statement with the SEN Officer and other professionals who have contributed towards the assessment before it is finalised.

Most children’s special educational needs can be met within a mainstream school with additional help. However, there are exceptional cases for example when it is felt that the child should attend one of the L.A’s special schools, a school with Resourced Provision or a specialist school in a neighbouring borough. Once agreement has been reached on the proposed resources and the school placement the final Statement is written naming the school.

What does the statement look like?

A statement is set out in six parts:

  • Part 1 – your child’s name address and other details
  • Part 2 – a description of your child’s special educational needs
  • Part 3 – the special help the Local Authority think your child should receive in school to meet the needs set out in part 2 of the statement
  • Part 4 – the name of the school
  • Part 5 – your child’s needs other than educational e.g. health needs
  • Part 6 – the help your child will receive from non-educational professionals e.g. Health Services

All Statements are reviewed annually at a meeting held at the school. Waltham Forest schools carry out person centred annual reviews so that the child is at the centre of their meeting. This meeting will look at:

  • What everyone likes and admires about the child
  • What is working for them and not working for them
  • The statement objectives and support provided over the past year
  • Plan the aims for the following year
  • Consider whether the Statement needs amending or should be discontinued

For more information on person centred planning:

Mainstream schools

All children in England between the ages of five and 16 are entitled to a free place at a state school. Most children attend mainstream schools.

The Local Authority expects all its schools and settings to be inclusive. All schools have money in their budgets which should be used to provide for the Special Educational Needs of their pupils.

Schools must not treat a child less favourably because they have a disability. The law states that the school and the L.A must do what they can to minimise any disruption to the normal schooling of a child with a disability and ensure that they are not at a disadvantage compared with other children. Not every child with a disability will have special educational needs (SEN) nor will a child with special educational needs necessarily have a disability.

Teachers continually check children’s progress and adapt their teaching when children are having difficulties. This is known as differentiating the curriculum.

Resourced provision

The Statement may propose that a child's needs may best be met by attending a mainstream school with a resource base.

A resource base:

  • Provides for pupils with particular special educational needs
  • Has extra staff with specialist knowledge
  • May have specialist equipment or therapy

If you want to find out more about resource provision in Waltham Forest contact the SEN Team.

Special schools

For some children the statutory assessment may determine that the child’s needs are such that they can best be met by attending a special school in Waltham Forest.

In a special school:

  • All pupils have significant special educational needs
  • Staff have specialist knowledge and expertise in dealing with a particular range of needs
  • Classes are small e.g. 8 – 12 pupils
  • Specialist equipment may be available
  • Therapy services are provided

Disagreement resolution

If you disagree with any decision made relating to the statement or the local authority’s decision not to assess your child you can contact the local disagreement resolution service. The local authority will always try and work with you to try and resolve any disagreement you have. If you ask for independent mediation this does not affect your right to appeal to the SEN & Disability Tribunal and your appeal can run alongside any mediation.

If you would like to find out more details about this service please contact Parent Partnership on 0208 496 5230 or free phone 0800 587 2521

SEN team

The Team provides specialist services for children with statements of special educational needs and travel assistance support.

Best way to contact us is by telephone or email. Our usual opening times are 9am-5pm Monday-Friday. We are based at:

First Floor Wood Street Health Centre
6 Linford Road
Walthamstow E17 3LA

Tel: 0208 496 6505 or 6503

Disability Discrimination

Schools must not treat any child less favourably because they have a disability (including a learning disability). They must take reasonable steps to change things so that a child with a disability is not disadvantaged when compared to other children.

The Disability Discrimination Act requires schools and Local Authorities to plan to improve access to mainstream education and the curriculum.

The laws in respect of disability discrimination and special educational needs are different. Not every child with a special educational need will have a disability. If you feel that your child has a disability and has been discriminated against you can appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST)

Education Support Service (ESS)

Educational Psychology Team

Educational Psychologists contribute to helping the borough achieve all of the outcomes for children and young people as described in the Children and Young People Plan. We focus especially on helping schools and families to ensure that vulnerable children and young people are able to “enjoy and achieve” in their education. We also help children and young people to “stay safe” by supporting schools and families in dealing with bullying and to “be healthy” by helping schools to support emotional well-being and provide direct interventions for children who are showing emotional difficulties.

Who we work with

The Educational Psychology Team works with children and young people and their families across the 0-19 age range via Early Years services, schools, further education provision and community groups

How the EP team works

  • The EP team applies psychological knowledge understanding, principles and skills in educational settings
  • Works to promote the education, development and well-being of children and young people, particularly those experiencing significant difficulties and disadvantage
  • Contributes to organisation and policy development at school and authority level
  • Is creative and professional
  • Aims to work preventatively
  • Strives to deliver high quality and relevant psychological services to vulnerable children and families in Waltham Forest (WF)
  • Can visit all nursery, primary, secondary, special schools and colleges on a regular basis
  • Works to improve access and equity to children, young people and their families

The range of services given can include:

  • A regular consultation service to nursery, primary, secondary and special schools
  • Issues concerning special educational needs (SEN) and additional educational needs (AEN). These include learning difficulties, emotional and behavioural difficulties and matters relating to disability
  • Supporting individual children, their families and school staff.
  • Training for schools and other professionals
  • Working with other agencies and professionals
  • Engaging with local communities, extended schools and voluntary organisations to increase community user involvement and access to educational psychological services

Specifically, our team can provide:

  • Consultation with school and other agency staff
  • Observations of pupils and group
  • Meetings with parents/carers, providing consultation, advice and support
  • Individual assessment of pupils
  • Schools with summaries of our visits
  • Feedback of relevant findings to school staff and parents/carers including agreements about interventions where appropriate
  • Liaison with other professionals
  • Advice on plans and interventions
  • Attendance at reviews and other conferences
  • Research and development
  • Statutory assessment under 1996 Education Act
  • Attendance at statutory annual reviews for children with statements of SEN
  • Direct therapeutic work at the individual and group level
  • Advice to school regarding SEN procedures, agencies, research findings and other areas within the knowledge and experience of the Educational Psychologist (EP)
  • Training for schools and other professionals
  • Parenting classes and support
  • Development of participatory and innovative approaches to effectively engage and empower local families and communities to identify their needs and priorities, and access relevant EP services


  • The EP team fully recognises that the needs of the child are paramount; that each and every child deserves the opportunity to achieve his or her potential; and that all children have to be safeguarded from harm and exploitation
  • The EP team fosters an ethos where all children feel secure, and are always listened to. The EP team also recognises that the responsibility for the protection of children must be shared because children are safeguarded only when all the relevant agencies and individuals accept responsibility, and work collaboratively
  • The EP team procedures for safeguarding children are in line with the London Child Protection Procedures
  • There is a designated member of staff for child protection, who provides advice to colleagues in the service who have concerns, and who ensures that all new members of staff are aware of the EP team policy and procedures, and know how to recognise and refer concerns,

Children in Care (CIC)

  • The Educational Psychology Team has a designated psychologist with responsibility for enhancing the knowledge of the whole EP team with regards to the factors which contribute to better outcomes for this vulnerable group of young people
  • Our work with children in public care may involve visiting the child/young person at school, working with and on occasions providing training for their teachers and parents/carers, as well as working collaboratively with other professional groups

Youth Offending Team (YOT) and Early Years

The Education Psychology Team also has a designated psychologist for YOT and for Early Years (under 5's)

Contact us

Special Educational Needs and Disability / Education Support Service (SEND/ESS)
Educational Psychology Team
Summerfield Centre
99 Leyton Green Road
Leyton E10 6DB

Tel 020 8496 1759

Helpful information for parents provided by Parent Partnership

What is a Statutory Assessment - How can I be involved?

A Statutory Assessment is a careful study which aims to find out more about your child, his or her abilities and difficulties. Sometimes it is called a formal assessment. It helps the Local Authority (L.A) to decide what special help your child needs. Different professionals will be asked to make contributions to the assessment. They will look at your child’s needs from different angles and write reports.

You will be asked to make a written contribution. You know your child better than anyone, so your contribution is very important. When the reports are put together they will give a full picture of your child’s needs.

The Local Authority (LA) decides whether to make an assessment following a request from the school, nursery, pupil assessment unit or relevant education provider.

Can I ask for a Statutory Assessment for my child?

Yes. You can ask by writing to the Local Authority. For help with this contact Parent Partnership Service. You should always talk to your child’s school or setting before you ask for an assessment.

How is an Assessment carried out?

If the L.A agrees to make an assessment you will be sent a letter explaining what will happen. You will be given 29 days to reply to this letter saying whether you agree that it should assess your child’s needs. They will tell you the name of one of their staff who will be able to give you more information. This person is called the SEN Officer. If you respond quickly this can help to reduce the time it takes to complete the stages of this process.

How can I make sure I keep a track of what is happening?

You will probably receive many letters, reports and other correspondence and you will need to keep a track of it all.

Remember to:

  • Keep together all paperwork and information you receive
  • Write down the date you receive any letters or papers
  • Put the date on any letters you write and keep a copy
  • With phone calls, write down; the date, who you spoke to and briefly what was said

How long will this take?

The L.A has six weeks to tell you whether it will make a statutory assessment of your child. If it takes longer contact your child’s SEN Officer to find out why.

What can I do if the Local Authority decides not to assess my child?

If the L.A decides that an assessment is not needed they will write to you and your child’s school giving the reasons for this decision. Your child can still get extra help from the school and the L.A must tell you how they think the school can meet your child’s needs. You should discuss this fully with the school. If you, or your child’s school or setting have requested a statutory assessment and the L.A decides not to make one, you have a right to appeal to the Special Educational Needs Tribunal. You should contact the L.A at this stage so that together you can try to sort the matter out. For more information contact the Parent Partnership Service.

How can I be involved?

The L.A will ask advice from:

  • You
  • Your child’s school
  • An educational psychologist
  • A paediatrician/doctor
  • Any others who are helping your child, for example a social worker, speech and language therapist, physiotherapist etc

Each professional involved in the assessment of your child will contact you and you have a right to be present during the assessment process. However, children can act differently when their parents are around, so sometimes it may be better that you do not attend.

You may have information you would like to include to support your case - for example - Audiological or Opthomological assessments. This will help the Authority to gain more understanding of your child’s needs.

Here are some questions you may wish to ask the professionals contributing to the assessment:

When you meet the Teacher:

  • What help is my child receiving in the areas in which he/she is experiencing difficulty?
  • What progress has been made so far?

If you have not seen any records of your child’s progress, you may like to ask if any have been kept, and if you can see them?

When you meet the Educational Psychologist:

  • Why do you think my child needs to be assessed?
  • What help does he/she need?

When you meet the Doctor/Paediatrician:

  • Does he/she have a medical condition which is affecting his/her learning?
  • If yes, what help will he/she need?
  • Does he/she need to see another medical specialist?
  • Does he/she need any specialist equipment?

When you meet the Speech Therapist, Occupational Therapist or Physiotherapist

  • Is my child developing normally with his speech, communication, physical skills?
  • Do any of these things affect his learning?
  • Are there any specialist groups I can be put in touch with?

Don’t forget Waltham Forest Parent Partnership can put you in touch with support groups

How can I make a contribution?

The Local Authority, as part of the assessment, will ask you for written information about your child. Your child’s views should also be included where possible. If you need help with making your views known contact the SEN Officer or Parent Partnership Service.

You know your child better than anyone, so your contribution is very important. You may wish to speak to other family members, or with a close friend before writing. You can ask for a translator, if you think this would help. You may write in any way you wish, a few sentences or several pages. Don’t worry about spelling or handwriting. Its important to get your views heard. If you prefer to make comments verbally to the L.A, make sure you receive a copy of your comments.

What should I say?

It is helpful to include:

  • What you think your child’s difficulties are
  • Do you feel your child’s difficulties are severe? Why? Try to give details
  • The length of time you have known about these difficulties and any changes that you have noticed
  • What you think you child’s needs are now, and what they may be in the future
  • What your child thinks he or she needs, in order to be helped
  • Reports from other people who know your child. For example a pre-school leader, health visitor, doctor or second opinion from another professional

It is also important to say what your child can do and what he or she enjoys doing. Tell the things that only you would know.

Can I get help?

Yes. You can contact the Parent Partnership Service for further help.

Parents’ checklist

It will help your child if you give as much information as possible.

  • Your child’s early years: Say when you first noticed any difficulties - big or small. Did you tell anyone - what help or advice did you get?
  • Your child now: Health - eating, sleeping, illnesses, tiredness
  • Physical skills - walking , climbing, drawing, using scissors
  • Communication - speech, describing things, talking to people. How much do you think your child understands what you say?
  • Personal skills - dressing, washing, feeding, travel
  • Your child at home: Watching TV, reading, hobbies
  • Outside activities - clubs, sports
  • Relationships - parents, brothers & sisters, adults
  • Behaviour at home - sharing listening, helping, moods, loving, tantrums
  • Your child at school: What is your child good at? What does your child enjoy? Everything you feel about school - relationships, progress, how has school helped or not helped - how has the extra help benefited your child, what is easy or difficult for your child
  • Are your child’s difficulties getting worse?
  • What help do you think your child needs?
  • Your child’s view - Where possible its important to give your child’s views. Does your child realise that he/she has difficulties? If so, what are his/her views on how he/she would like to be helped. How has your child told you?
  • When you have finished your report, read it through and see if someone who had never met your child would get a clear picture of his/her life and difficulties?

What happens after the Assessment?

When the Local Authority has collected all the information it needs about your child it will decide whether to make a Statement of Special Educational Needs. The L.A will normally tell you its decision no more than 12 weeks after the decision to carry out the assessment. If it takes longer contact your child’s SEN Officer to find out why there is a delay.

What happens if a Statement is not made?

If the Local Authority decides not to make a Statement they will normally send you a ‘Note in Lieu’. You should meet with the school to find out how they plan to meet the needs of your child. If you do not agree with this decision you have the right to appeal to the Special Needs Tribunal.

What happens if a Statement is made?

You will be sent a copy of a proposed statement together with all the reports and advice. See 'What is a Statement'? for further information.


  • You and your child should be fully involved at all stages during the assessment process
  • Don’t forget to give your written views and the views of your child if possible. If you need help with this - ask!
  • By agreeing to the assessment, it does not mean that you have agreed that your child be placed in a special school. Most children with Special Educational Needs go to an ordinary school
  • Governors have specific duties towards children with Special Educational Needs. Ask for a copy of the schools policy on Special Needs, which schools have to publish
  • You have a right to have help with translation, if it would help
  • There is a strict timetable to the assessment procedures. This gives you time to think, ask questions and seek independent advice and make your contribution
  • The LA should clearly explain what will happen and must inform you or the Parent Partnership Service
  • This can be a difficult and stressful time. If you have doubts or need help contact the Parent Partnership Service

Annual review

If your child has a statement of special educational needs there must be a review of his or her statement at least once a year. Sometimes there may be a reason to hold a review earlier – if there are changes in the child’s circumstances or planning for a transfer. The Local Authority (LA) can review the statement at any time and a parent can request a review at any time.

Everyone working with children recognises that they develop and change. A review is to see how your child is progressing and if your child is meeting the targets set for him/her in the Individual Education Plan.

The Head teacher will gather information for this meeting and will bring together people involved in your child’s education. This meeting will decide if the statement is still appropriate or whether a recommendation for changing the statement needs to be given to the LA.

Who will attend?

The Head teacher must invite the child’s parent/carer, class teacher or SENCO and the LA. If it is appropriate, your child should also be invited so that they can express their point of view. The Head may also ask other professionals if their input is needed i.e. speech & language therapist or educational psychologist.

As a parent you can write a report on how you feel your child has progressed. Other professionals may also write reports. The Head must send these out to those attending two weeks before the meeting.

What happens at a Review?

Your views are very important. It may help to bring someone with you. If you would like support at this meeting, you can contact the Parent Partnership Service. Your view may be different from the school and the review meeting is a chance for you to discuss this. Wherever possible your child should be involved too. The meeting will normally be at your child’s school.

What happens after the Review?

After the review the Head teacher will send a report to the LA which summarises all the decisions and opinions made. This report should be sent no later than 10 days after the meeting or the end of term, whichever is the earlier. Copies will then be sent to everyone who attended.

The LA will then look at the statement and decide if they are going to change it. If they decide to change it (this is called an amendment to the statement) they will write to you (within one week of making their decision) and give you the chance to say whether you agree or disagree. At this stage you can request a meeting with an officer at the LA to discuss any concerns. If you are worried about this, contact the Parent Partnership Service.

If you disagree with the changes they make to the statement you can appeal to the SEN Tribunal.

If the LA decides to cancel the statement, you can appeal against this. The statement must remain in place until the appeal is decided or withdrawn.

Changing from primary to secondary school

Everyone concerned with the child should give careful thought to school transfer. Planning in advance is essential. Make sure you visit schools as early as possible to help you choose. The move from primary to secondary school should be considered at the child’s Annual Review in late year 5 or early year 6.

This is important, as statements must be changed by 15th February in the year of transfer naming the new school. For more help at this stage contact Parent Partnership Service. or the Special Needs section at the LA.

What is a Transition Plan?

The annual review in year 9 should involve other agencies that will play a major role during your child’s life after he or she has left school. Your views (and the views of your child where possible) are very important at this meeting. The Careers Service must attend the meeting.

Together a transition plan will be drawn up. All Annual Reviews from this point until the child leaves school should include a transition plan to help plan for adulthood. The Careers Service, the Primary Care Trust (PCT) and social services should be involved in drawing up the plan which should make clear who is responsible for the different parts of the plan.


  • Your views and the views of your child – where possible are very important
  • Sometimes opinions will be different – don’t be afraid to give yours
  • Make sure you know who everyone is at the meeting. If someone is present whom you did not expect ask why they are there
  • If the statement is amended and you do not agree with the changes you could appeal to the SEN Tribunal
  • If you are given any additional reports on arrival you may want to request a few minutes to read them before the meeting starts

Guidance for schools making a request for a statutory assessment

Waltham Forest has new guidance for schools for making a request for a statutory assessment. This guidance has been written to assist schools to ensure that the Local Authority is making clear, consistent and evidence based decisions which comply with the Code of Practice.

The Code of Practice states that the Local Authority requires clear information in order to decide whether a statutory assessment of a particular pupil is appropriate.

7:13 of the Code makes clear that when making a request for a statutory assessment, the school or setting should state clearly the reasons for the request and they must submit the following evidence:

  • The views of parents recorded at Early Years Action and Early Years Action Plus School Action and School Action Plus;
  • The ascertainable views of the child;
  • Copies of IEPs at Early Years Action and Early Years Action Plus School Action and School Action Plus;
  • Evidence of progress over time;
  • Copies of advice, where provided, from health and social services;
  • Evidence of the involvement and views of professionals with relevant specialist knowledge (Educational Psychologists/Outreach Services, Speech and Language therapists, CAMHS) and expertise outside the normal competence of the school or setting;
  • Evidence of the extent to which the school or setting has followed the advice provided by professionals with relevant specialist knowledge

Schools must use this guidance when making a referral for statutory assessment to the SEN Team.

If you require further information contact the SEN Officer.

Provision mapping / Management for inclusion

Guidance materials

The Provision Management guidance materials booklet (228KB PDF file) has been designed as a stand alone resource for any school or local authority who wishes to introduce Provision Management and is based upon over three years development work in schools and local authorities.

Provision Management is a strategic management tool and one of the key lessons from our development work has been that it is crucial that schools adapt and modify the approach to suit their particular school context.

Download the Provision Management guidance materials booklet (228KB PDF file) for more information.

Back to TOP

Contact details

  • SEN Team

    First floor Wood Street Health Centre Linford Road
    E17 3LA
    Phone: 020 8496 6505 / 6503