Telephony issues, Friday 12 February

We are currently experiencing intermittent issues on 020 8496 3000. Our engineers are currently investigating.

You can also access Council services online. Please see our Apply, Book, Pay, Report pages.

We apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.​​​​

Sheltered housing

Last updated 14 October 2014

Sheltered housing is intended for people aged 50 or over who are in need of some support so that they can live independently. Priority is given to people:

  • With disabilities or with long-term health problems
  • Living in unsuitable homes
  • Who are socially isolated

Within a sheltered housing scheme, residents can live securely in a community setting, with the option of participating in social activities with other residents.

There are a range of flats including fully self-contained flats, studio flats with shared bathrooms and studio flats with one main room and a separate kitchen and toilet. Schemes are supported by a manager who visits on a regular basis, helps in emergencies, gives practical support and arranges visits by district nurses, home helps, social workers, doctors and others.

If you are worried about the cost, you can apply for Housing Benefit. The Council and the Benefits Agency can give you advice on this.

Supporting People

Supporting People is a government programme which funds housing related support services including general information and advice, advocacy, community alarms, home improvements, assistance with education and employment plans and life skills training.

This support can be provided either within your own home or within a specialist housing scheme such as sheltered housing, hostels or refuges. You will be assessed to see whether you are entitled to this service.

If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit, these services are free of charge and Supporting People funding would be paid to your support provider. If you do not receive Housing Benefit and support is tied to long-term housing, Waltham forest needs to charge for support services. We will do this fairly; if you cannot afford to pay you will not be expected to. You can apply for an assessment under the Fairer Contributions Policy.

Find out more about the Supporting People programme.

Further information on finding sheltered accommodation.

Download the Council’s factsheet on Sheltered Housing (544KB PDF File).

See Extra Care Sheltered Housing application referral process/pathway


Back to TOP

Contact details

  • Housing Services

    Cedar Wood House 2d Fulbourne Road
    E17 4GG
    Phone: 020 8496 3000
  • Financial Assessment Unit

    Adult Social Care London Borough of Waltham Forest Walthamstow Town Hall Forest Road Walthamstow London
    E17 4JF
    Phone: 0208 496 3000