You are here:

Scheduled website maintenance

​The Council website will be unavailable for a period of time between 11pm to 3am on Wednesday 17 December and 11pm to 6am on Friday 19 December.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Council housing

Apply for Council Housing

Apply for Council Housing.

Before you start the process of completing the application for housing, you must complete the online self-assessment which will give you an indication of what your priority is likely to be, and whether or not you are ever likely to be housed.

Please note: There are approximately 16,000 applications for every 1,000 properties let.

Bidding for properties.

Once your application has been successful you can express an interest in properties through the East London Lettings website.

Housing Allocation Scheme Review 2014 - 15

The Council has decided to update its Housing Allocations Scheme, which sets out how the authority allocates social rented housing in the borough. Pressures on housing are greater than ever, and we now want to have another look at the scheme to ensure that it meets the needs of residents, focussing on:

  • Looking at who is eligible and who gets priority on the Housing Register (waiting list)
  • Awarding housing priority to applicants who are making a community contribution by working or volunteering
  • Transfer-led lettings - recognising the needs of existing social tenants 

To have your say, please respond to our survey which can be found here. The survey will be open until January 11th 2015.

If you have any queries about the consultation survey or require clarification, please email or phone 0208 496 5488

Existing Council tenants

Request a repair.

If your repair is an emergency, telephone Ascham Direct on 020 8496 4197.

For all non-essential repairs complete the online form.

Report anti-social behaviour.

If you are experiencing unacceptable behaviour from your neighbours then contact us. If you have been physically attacked or threatened then you should call the police on 999.

Mutual exchange.

All Council and Housing Association/Trust tenants with Secure Tenancies and most Housing Association/Trust tenants with Assured Tenancies can apply to exchange their accommodation.

Tenancy succession.

When a Council tenant dies, it may be possible for a husband/wife/civil partner or other family member to take over the tenancy.

Tenants and Residents Association.

Find out more about setting up and running an Association.