You are here:

Telephony issues, Monday 8 February

We are currently experiencing intermittent issues on 020 8496 3000. Our engineers are currently investigating.

You can also access Council services online. Please see our Apply, Book, Pay, Report pages.

We apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.​​

Housing Benefit: How to apply

Last updated 4 February 2016

How to apply for Housing Benefit

Apply online

You can use our online claim form to apply for Housing Benefit.

Make a claim for Housing Benefit now

Intention to claim

You can register your intention to claim if you’re not ready to fill out the form. The date you register will be the date your benefit is calculated from if your claim is successful. You must complete your online claim form within one calendar month of your intention to claim.

You can register your intention to claim online or by phone.

You can call us on 020 8496 3000 Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm.

Visit us

Visit us at Leyton Library, Leytonstone Library, North Chingford Library or Walthamstow Library to:

  • Make an online claim for Housing Benefit using our self-service PCs
  • Report a change in your circumstances if you are already claiming benefit
  • Drop off evidence and information to support your benefit claim

Home visit

If you are housebound and don’t have any family or friends who can help you, call us on 020 8496 3000 and give a brief reason why you need a visit.

Providing evidence to support your claim

Once you have submitted your claim form you may be asked to provide evidence to support your claim. How and where you can give us evidence to support your claim.

If you disagree with our decision

If you disagree with a decision about your Housing Benefit, you should let us know within one calendar month of the decision letter.

You can:

  • Ask for an explanation of how we calculated your benefit
  • Ask us to look at the decision again
  • Appeal against the decision
  • Ask for a hearing by a tribunal, run by the Tribunals Service

You can let us know that you want an explanation, disagree with a decision, or want to appeal by completing our online revision and appeal form.

If you need more help with your housing costs (which can include Council Tax) you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

More about Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Back to TOP

See also

Contact details