Online benefit services
We offer a service to let you apply online for housing benefit and council tax support, and to advise us of changes that might affect your entitlement.
Who can use this service?
- A Waltham Forest resident
- Moving into Waltham Forest, and making a claim in advance
- Claiming housing benefit while being housed in another borough by Waltham Forest Council. Note: you must contact the local council where you live about their local council tax reduction scheme
Apply online for benefit
Apply now using our interactive Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support claim form
- Other ways to apply for benefit
Claim without signing the form
You no longer need to print and send in a signed declaration.
We have made changes to our electronic form, and now you need to carefully read and agree to a number of statements to confirm that:
- The information you have provided in your application is complete and accurate
- You allow us to cross-check the information you have given with other records to prevent fraud
- You take full responsibility for any overpaid benefit as a result of any errors or omissions found at a later date
Acceptance of the declaration statements is confirmed by checking the associated boxes. You will not be able to submit your application until you have confirmed all of the necessary statements.
The new style declaration has exactly the same standing in law as a signed declaration.
You must also carefully read the letter sent to you once a decision has been made on your claim to make sure that the information used is correct and complete.
You must notify the Benefits Service immediately if anything is wrong.
If you do not, and you are overpaid benefit as a result, you will be liable to repay any amount overpaid and you could be prosecuted if it is found that you have deliberately made a false declaration.
Have your circumstances changed?
You must tell the Benefit Service about any changes in your circumstances that may affect your entitlement.
- Tell us about any changes using our online form. If you are moving out of the Waltham Forest area, please use this form to advise us of the date you are moving and your new address. If you are currently claiming, are moving within the Waltham Forest area, and want to claim at your new address, please use the change of address form to advise us of the details of your new home.
- Tell us about any changes for Council Tax
More about the types of change you must tell us about
- Tell us if you are moving and make a claim for your new address online if you have moved within Waltham Forest. Only use this form if you are currently claiming for an address in Waltham Forest and are moving to another address in the borough where you will want to claim benefit. If you are moving into Waltham Forest from another borough, you must complete a full benefit claim form (see above).
Need more help with housing costs?
- Apply online for a Discretionary Housing Payment for extra help with housing and council tax costs
More about Discretionary Housing Payments
Use the online benefits calculator for an estimate of how much benefit you may get. Please note: this is only an estimate. Your actual entitlement may be different. If, after using the calculator, you want to submit a formal claim you can use the information you entered in the calculator to start your claim form. This saves you having to enter details twice.
If you decide you now want to claim benefit, you will need to complete a formal application form.
Self-service for benefits
Register online to see how much benefit we are paying you, previous benefit awards, when your next payment is due, and what information we used to calculate it.
Landlords can check the status of their tenants' claims (where they are being paid direct), and look up details of the benefit payments we have made.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- How do I contact the Benefits Service
- What if I have a dial up connection?
- How do I move around the form?
- How do I fill in the form?
- How do I save a partially completed form?
- How do I open a previously saved form?
- How do I make sure the form is fully and correctly completed?
- How do I submit my completed claim form?
- What do I do if I get stuck when filling in an online form?
- How do I know what evidence I need to provide in support of my application?
- How can I keep a copy of the form that I have submitted?
- How is the evidence I need to provide requested?
- What should I do if I cannot give you all of the evidence within a month?