Online benefit services
We offer a service to let you apply online for housing benefit and council tax support, and to advise us of changes that might affect your entitlement.
Who can use this service?
- A Waltham Forest resident
- Someone moving into Waltham Forest and making a claim in advance
- Someone claiming housing benefit while being housed in another borough by Waltham Forest Council. Note: Contact the local council where you live for Council Tax Reduction
What you need to know
We have made some changes to our form:
- We no longer send requests for evidence by post
- You no longer need to print and send in a signed declaration
What you need to do
- Provide your email when you complete the claim form
We will email you a full list of the evidence needed to support your application
- Make a note of the evidence needed if you don’t provide an email
This is displayed on page 40 once you submit your application. Do not close the form until you have noted what is required
- Carefully read and agree to the declaration statements to confirm that:
1. The information you have provided in your application is complete and accurate
2. You allow us to cross-check the information you have given with other records to prevent fraud
3. You take full responsibility for any overpaid benefit as a result of any errors or omissions found at a later date
This declaration has the same standing in law as a signed declaration
- Accept the declaration statement by checking the associated boxes
You will not be able to submit your application until you have done this
- Carefully read the letter sent to you once a decision has been made
Make sure that the information used is correct and complete
- Notify the Benefits Service immediately if anything is wrong
If you don’t and you’re overpaid benefit as a result, you will be liable to repay the overpaid amount. You could be prosecuted if it is found that you have deliberately made a false declaration.
Apply now using our Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support claim form
Any entitlement to Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support will usually start from the Monday following the date we receive your application, so do not delay in applying.
You can let us know that you want to apply by completing a short online Intention to Claim form. We will then register your interest in order to secure your start date. However, you must then complete and submit an online claim form within one calendar month.
Find out about Other ways to apply for benefits
If you have a specific reason why you need the request for evidence by post, or you are unable to complete our online forms, email email@example.com, call 020 8496 3000 or visit our Customer Services Centre or a Library Plus.
Have your circumstances changed?
You must tell us immediately about any changes in your circumstances (or the circumstances of others in your household) if you are receiving Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support.
Tell us about a change of circumstances if you are:
- Moving house within Waltham Forest and are currently receiving Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support
- Moving out of Waltham Forest.
You will also need to contact the local council for your new to make a new claim
See more examples of the types of change you must tell us about
You must complete a full benefit claim form if you:
- Have stopped receiving Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support and wish to re-apply
- Are moving into Waltham Forest from another borough
You should also tell us about a change of circumstances for Council Tax
Need more help with housing costs?
Use the benefits calculator to estimate how much benefit you may get.
Please note: this is only an estimate. Your actual entitlement may be different. If, after using the calculator, you want to submit a formal claim you can use the information you entered in the calculator to start your claim form.
To claim benefit, you will need to complete a formal benefits application form.
Self-service for benefits
- How much benefit we are paying you
- Previous benefit awards
- When your next payment is due
- What information we used to calculate your benefit
Landlords can check the status of their tenants' claims (where they are being paid direct), and look up details of the benefit payments we have made.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- How do I contact the Benefits Service
- What if I have a dial up connection?
- How do I move around the form?
- How do I fill in the form?
- How do I save a partially completed form?
- How do I open a previously saved form?
- How do I make sure the form is fully and correctly completed?
- How do I submit my completed claim form?
- What do I do if I get stuck when filling in an online form?
- How do I know what evidence I need to provide in support of my application?
- How can I keep a copy of the form that I have submitted?
- How is the evidence I need to provide requested?
- What should I do if I cannot give you all of the evidence within a month?