You are here:

Online benefit services

Last updated 12 June 2014

We offer a service to let you apply online for housing benefit and council tax support, and to advise us of changes that might affect your entitlement.

Who can use this service?

You can use our online benefits service if you are
Residents of other councils should contact their local council

Apply online for benefit

We have changed the way we ask you for the evidence needed to support your application. If you give us your email address when you complete the claim form, we will send you a full list of the evidence that we need direct to your inbox.
If you do not give us an email address, it will be your responsibility to make a note of the list of evidence needed that will be displayed on page 40 of the form once you submit your application. Do not close the form until you have noted what is required.
We will no longer send you a request for evidence by post. If you have a specific reason why you need the request to be made by post, please contact us. 

Claim without signing the form

You no longer need to print and send in a signed declaration.

We have made changes to our electronic form, and now you need to carefully read and agree to a number of statements to confirm that:

  • The information you have provided in your application is complete and accurate
  • You allow us to cross-check the information you have given with other records to prevent fraud
  • You take full responsibility for any overpaid benefit as a result of any errors or omissions found at a later date

Acceptance of the declaration statements is confirmed by checking the associated boxes. You will not be able to submit your application until you have confirmed all of the necessary statements.

The new style declaration has exactly the same standing in law as a signed declaration.

You must also carefully read the letter sent to you once a decision has been made on your claim to make sure that the information used is correct and complete. 

You must notify the Benefits Service immediately if anything is wrong.

If you do not, and you are overpaid benefit as a result, you will be liable to repay any amount overpaid and you could be prosecuted if it is found that you have deliberately made a false declaration.

Have your circumstances changed?

If you are currently receiving Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, you must tell the Benefit Service immediately about any changes in your circumstances (or the circumstances of others in your household) that may affect your entitlement.

  • Tell us about any changes using our online form.
  • If you have stopped receiving Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support and wish to re-apply, you must complete a full benefit claim form(see above).
  • If you are moving out of the Waltham Forest area, and no longer want to claim, please use this form to advise us of the date you are moving and your new address. You may need to contact the local council for your new address to make a new claim.
  • You can also use this form if you are currently receiving Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, are moving within the Waltham Forest area, and want to claim at your new address.
  • If you are moving into Waltham Forest from another borough, you must complete a full benefit claim form (see above).
  • Tell us about any changes for Council Tax

More about the types of change you must tell us about

Need more help with housing costs?

More about Discretionary Housing Payments

Benefits calculator

Use the online benefits calculator for an estimate of how much benefit you may get. Please note: this is only an estimate. Your actual entitlement may be different. If, after using the calculator, you want to submit a formal claim you can use the information you entered in the calculator to start your claim form. This saves you having to enter details twice.

If you decide you now want to claim benefit, you will need to complete a formal application form.

Self-service for benefits

Register online to see how much benefit we are paying you, previous benefit awards, when your next payment is due, and what information we used to calculate it.

Landlords can check the status of their tenants' claims (where they are being paid direct), and look up details of the benefit payments we have made.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Back to TOP