Alcohol advice and support
We are working to reduce the level of substance misuse (drugs, alcohol, glue etc) by children and young people in Waltham Forest.
We aim to tackle this issue within the context of the development of integrated children’s services, through local delivery of education, prevention, treatment and enforcement programmes.
» View our Young people’s substance misuse treatment plan 2008/09 (40KB PDF file)
The TellUs2 survey was a survey undertaken across England by Ofsted asking children and young people from years 6, 8 and 10 their views about their local area. The survey was carried out in Spring 2007. Some of the responses from our young people are:
76 per cent have never smoked a cigarette
58 per cent have never had a whole alcoholic drink
83 per cent have never taken drugs
722 Young people’s substance misuse service
722 Young people’s substance misuse service provides a free, friendly and confidential service that offers help and support to children and young people up to the age of 19 who live in Waltham Forest who misuse drugs and alcohol.
Based in High Road Leytonstone, the service has been specifically designed to listen to young people's concerns providing a complete assessment and a range of specialist substance misuse interventions. 722 offer help and support to young people including:
- Personal support and advice
- Harm reduction information and advice
- A personalised plan to stop using drugs and alcohol
- Relapse prevention
- A personalised plan to address substance misuse
- Information and advice on sexual health services
- Access to detox and rehab
- Referral to specialist services
- Prescribing services
Other services include:
- Support for young people significantly affected by others substance misuse
- Support for parents, carers and families of young people who use drugs or alcohol
- Advice, training and consultation with professionals and organisations that work with children and young people in Waltham Forest
- Education and training for schools, agencies and organisations engaging with children and young people
- Surgeries and seminars for groups of young people about drugs and alcohol issues
- Working with young people in the youth offending service and criminal justice systems, providing one to one support and education
Please ensure all appointments and referrals are made with the consent of the young person.
- It can be dangerous to mix drugs or to take them with alcohol
- Not knowing the strength of what you are taking can lead to accidental overdose
- Use of drugs and alcohol has been linked to some mental health issues
We are open: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and evening appointments available.
For more information or to talk in confidence:
- Call: 020 8496 5020
- Visit or write: 722 High Road, Leytonstone E11 3AJ