Community alarms and Telecare
What is a community alarm?
A Community Alarm is a special pendant which you wear on the wrist or neck which enables you to call for help in an emergency, or when you are having difficulties.
The pendant sends a signal via a base unit which is attached to your telephone which we will install in your home.
By pressing a button on a pendant, you are connected directly to the Community Alarm Monitoring Service where an operator can call out help and reassure you until someone arrives.
The service operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The operators answer calls, gets in touch with relatives, friends or neighbours as requested and alerts the emergency services where necessary. With a Community Alarm help is just a touch away – day or night.
Who can have the service?
To be eligible you need to meet ONE or more of the following:
- Live alone
- Left alone regularly be family members or other carers
- Housebound (can't get out by yourself)
- Feel vulnerable at home even though you may be able to get out and about
- Be a carer of a disabled child or adult who needs the help of the control centre to call for help in an emergency
- You need to be able to contact a doctor or someone else in an emergency
What will it cost?
The service costs £4.30 per week, which includes the monitoring and response service.
You will be charged on a quarterly basis, whether or not you are at home. You can also pay monthly by standing order.
What else do I need to do?
For the service to work efficiently, you will need to give us:
- Some personal details
- Names, addresses and telephone numbers of people you'd want us to contact in an emergency or difficulty. These people could be family, friends or neighbours
- Details of two or more people who are willing to act as keyholders for you
You must also nominate two keyholders, living near to you, who would be willing to hold your door keys and attend in an emergency.
If you do not have anyone to act as keyholder, a keysafe attached to the outside of the property, could be fitted to hold keys so that access can be gained by the emergency services.
Installing the alarm
To install the community alarm you will need a modern telephone socket and a spare 13 amp electric socket to plug it into. Both sockets must be on the same wall in the same room and within 1 metre of each other.
To get this service
You, your next of kin or your social worker can make the application.
Send your completed application form back to
Unit 6, Lockwood Way
Walthamstow E17 5RB
Tel 020 8496 3000
The appointed contractor for the installation and monitoring of this service is Newham Network in Stratford, London. We will send your details on to them.
If you have problems completing the application form, your next of kin or social worker can make the application for you.