Register as a motor salvage operator
Any person who carries on a business in the Waltham Forest area that involves the recovery of salvageable parts from motor vehicles and the subsequent sale or disposal for scrap of the remainder of the vehicle, or the purchase of 'written off' vehicles for repair or resale, or other related activities needs to register with Waltham Forest Council.
» See regulation for this licence on the Office of Public Sector Information website
The application process
Motor Salvage Operators Regulations 2002 states that you are deemed to be a motor salvage operator and must be registered if your business is engaged:
- Wholly or partly in the recovery for re-use or sale of salvageable parts from motor vehicles and the subsequent sale or other disposal for scrap of the remainder of the vehicle concerned
- Wholly or mainly in the purchase of written off vehicles and their subsequent repair and re-sale
- Wholly or mainly in the sale or purchase of motor vehicles which are subject (whether immediately or on subsequent re-sale) of any of the activities falling within a. or b.
- Wholly or mainly in activities falling within paragraphs b. and c.
In deciding whether to approve the registration, the Council must be satisfied that the applicant can be considered a "fit and proper” person to hold a registration. The Council will consult with the Metropolitan Police service taking into account any unspent convictions, but in particular to any offences committed under the following:
- Theft or attempted theft of or from a motor vehicle, contrary to section 1 of the Theft Act 1968
- Taking a motor vehicle without consent, contrary to Section 12 of the Theft Act 1968
- Aggravated vehicle taking, contrary to Section 12A of the Theft Act1968
- Handling stolen goods, contrary to Section 22 of the Theft Act 1968
- Going equipped to steal or take a motor vehicle, contrary to Section 25 of the Theft Act 1968
- Interference with a motor vehicle, contrary to Section 9 of the Criminal Attempts Act 1981
- Tampering with a motor vehicle, contrary to Section 25 of the Road Traffic Act 1988
- Unspent convictions under Part I of the Vehicle (crime) Act 2001
Registration lasts for a period of three years commencing from the date that the entry was made in the Council's register. If the motor salvage operator wishes to renew the registration after this period, a valid application for the renewal of the registration must be submitted prior to the expiry of the existing registration period.
Registration or renewal fee is £72.00
- Register as a motor salvage operator
- Changing circumstances for registration - motor salvage operator
- Motor Salvage Operator Conditions of Registration (25KB word file)
- Motor Salvage Operators Registration Guidance (33KB word file)
- Application for Registration as a Motor Salvage Operator (112KB word file)
- Application for Renewal of Registration as a Motor Salvage Operator (112KB word file)
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Directgov gives advice on your consumer rights. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.
Please contact Waltham Forest Direct on 020 8496 3000 and ask for the licensing team in the first instance for matters concerning:
- Licence holder dress
- Failed application redress
- Other redress - include other complaints relating to another aspect of the operation such as noise, pollution or public health