You are here:

High hedges

Last updated 13 June 2014

From 1 June 2005, provided they have tried and exhausted all other avenues for resolving their hedge dispute, people have been able to take their complaint about a neighbour's evergreen hedge to their local authority. The role of the local authority is not to mediate or negotiate between the complainant and the hedge owner but to adjudicate on whether - in the words of the Act - the hedge is adversely affecting the complainant's reasonable enjoyment of their property.

You may find the following links useful on the Communities and Local Government web site if you want to find out more about making a High Hedges complaint:

Complain about a high hedge

If you wish to complain about a high hedge complete the Online planning enforcement enquiry form

A fee is payable to the Authority to investigate a High Hedge Complaint.

Back to TOP

Contact details