On this page:
- Do I need planning permission?
- Pre-application advice
- National and local requirements for validation
- Make an application for planning permission
- Help completing your planning application
- What happens next?
- Appeal a planning application
- Search for, or comment on a planning application
- Weekly planning application lists
Do I need planning permission?
If you are thinking of making alterations to your house or flat you will need to check the Planning Portal to see if you require planning permission.
Some minor changes can be made to your house without the need for planning permission. These are call permitted development rights. The Planning Portal provides an easy to use householder’s guide to planning permission as well as more information on permitted development rights.
We encourage all applicants to seek pre-application advice to identify any potential issues prior to submitting their application
More on pre-application advice
National and local requirements for validation
Different types and scale of application require different levels of information and supporting documentation to be submitted.
There is a national list that sets out statutory requirements that apply to all applications and a list of additional items that are specified locally.
View the National requirement list (72KB PDF file). These are set by Central Government.
The local list comprises additional information that the local planning authority requires to validate an application.
View the Waltham Forest Council's local validation requirements (187KB PDF file)
View the list of local validation requirements (122KB PDF file)
Make an application for planning permission
If you do not want to make your application online using the Planning Portal then you can download and complete one of the planning application forms.
To assist in your application you can read the guidance in how do I prepare my planning application (115KB PDF file)
To calculate the cost of an application you can use the Planning Portal fee calculator.
Payment can be made using the online payment system or by cheque. Cheques must be made payablee to the London Borough of Waltham Forest and submitted with the application.
Research and copying fees are applicable when obtaining copies of certain planning documents and also in some instances when carrying out planning research.
Help completing your planning application
If you need help completing your planning forms you can call and make an appointment to see a Duty Planning Officer.
A duty planning officer is available Monday to Friday, 10am-4pm.
To contact the Duty Planning Officer please phone 020 8496 3000.
To visit the Duty Planning Officer come to:
Reception, Sycamore House
Waltham Forest Council
London E17 4JF
Fax 020 8596 6902
Reception opening times are Monday to Thursday, 9am-5.15pm, and Friday 9am-5pm. The offices are closed on bank and public holidays.
You can also read our guidance on preparing a planning application (115KB PDF file)
What happens next?
More information on the process after submission is available from the What happens to my planning application guide (100KB PDF file) and the How does the Council decide planning applications guide (109KB PDF file)
If you planning application is approved then read the guide My application was approved – what should I do next? (PDF file)
If your application was refused then you should read My application was refused – what should I do next? (PDF file). This explains how you may be able to negotiate amendments and your rights to appeal against the Council's decision on your application.
Appeal a planning application
Appeals for England and Wales are dealt with by the Planning Inspectorate.
You can use the online appeals service on the Planning Portal and can see all guidance relating to appeals
Search for, or comment on a planning application
You can use the Council’s Planning Explorer system to view live planning applications, or to view a properties planning application history.
Simply enter the address or application number of the application you are interested in, and you will be able to view the full application, including plans.
If you wish to comment on an application you can complete the Comment on a live planning application form
If you do not have internet access, you can go to one of our Libraries Plus venues and view the application on a public PC there.
If you want to view paper copies of an application, including plans, you can do so by visiting Sycamore House, which is next door to Walthamstow Town Hall. Sycamore House is open from 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.
Weekly planning application lists
The weekly planning applications lists for the last three months submitted to the Council are published below:
- 15 September to 21 September (110KB PDF file)
- 8 September to 14 September (91KB PDF file)
- 1 September to 7 September (82KB PDF file)
- 25 August to 31 August (105KB PDF file)
- 18 August to 24 August (100KB PDF file)
- 11 August to 17 August (134KB PDF file)
- 4 August to 10 August (79KB PDF file)
- 28 July to 3 August (81KB PDF file)
- 21 July to 27 July (116KB PDF file)
- 14 July to 20 July (127KB PDF file)
- 7 July to 13 July (111KB PDF file)
- 30 June to 6 July (104KB PDF file)
- 23 June to 29 June (123KB PDF file)
- 566 High Road Leytonstone
- Planning application forms
- 566 High Road Leytonstone
- Planning application forms
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- I need to know about restrictions on permitted development rights
- I need to know if I need planning permission
- I need information on flood risk
- Do I need planning permission to work from home or to run a business from home?
- How can I contact a Planning Officer for general planning advice?