Apply for a license to store building materials
A licence is required for placing building materials on any part of a highway. Any such materials must be kept on private land if possible in which case a license is not required. Licences are only issued in exceptional circumstances for a period of up to 14 days.The applicant can apply to extend this before the granted license expires.
Scaffolding and hoarding
Any scaffold or hoarding which encroaches or projects over the Highway requires a scaffold permit. These permits are only issued to the scaffolding company
Builders' skips require a permit if they are to be placed on the highway. The Council has the right to specify conditions relating to the position of highway skips. Skip permits can be applied for by skip owners or operating companies.
Permit application forms
The 'Permit Application Forms' for activities on the public highway Highways Act 1980, Sections 139,169,171,172 & 173 see below.
- Permit application form (36KB PDF file)
- Complete and return an application form with the appropriate fee
- Once approved, the permit will be returned to you with a permit number
- Order your materials and quote the permit number to the company delivering the materials
- Ensure that by the date the permit expires you have either had the materials removed or renewed/extended the permit. (see application form for details)
- Please note the application will take 3-4 days to process prior to approval
Hire lamps to ensure that the materials are lit during hours of darkness to meet legal requirements
It is an offence to place materials on the highway without permission - breaking the law could result in confiscation of the materials and court action against both the owners of the materials and the people who delivered them