You are here:

Telephony issues, Friday 12 February

We are currently experiencing intermittent issues on 020 8496 3000. Our engineers are currently investigating.

You can also access Council services online. Please see our Apply, Book, Pay, Report pages.

We apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.​​​​

Blue Badges: Parking permits for disabled people

Last updated 29 January 2016

The Blue Badge scheme is a national scheme for disabled people with severe mobility problems and who have difficulty using public transport.

It helps badge holders travel independently, as either a driver or passenger, by allowing them to park close to their destination.

It only applies to on-street parking. They do not apply to off-street car parks, such as supermarket car parks, or privately owned roads, such as those you find at airports.

The badge holder must be a passenger or a driver of the vehicle whenever a Blue Badge is displayed.

Carers or relatives are not permitted to use the badge when carrying out business on behalf of the badge holder, if the badge holder is not with them.

Further information is provided by the Department for Transport - The Blue Badge scheme leaflet

Charges for the Blue Badge Scheme

There is a £10 administration fee for a Blue Badge

You can make debit / credit card payments by call Waltham Forest Direct on 020 8496 3000.

Or pay online

Pay online for your Blue Badge

If your application is unsuccessful we will refund the £10 administration fee via your method of payment.

Waltham Forest will not charge for badges that have to be replaced due to being stolen or faded. However a copy of the crime report which includes the crime reference number will need to be provided or the faded badge returned.

Eligibility: Do I qualify for a Blue Badge?

Automatic entitlement

You automatically for a badge if you are an adult or child over the age of two and:

  • Receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance, in which case the expiry date of the badge will be linked to the end date of the benefit, if this is less than three years
  • Qualify for Personal Independence Payment (PIP). This helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64. The amount of help that you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself. If you score 8 points or more on the 'Moving around' activity list you will be eligible for a Blue Badge. Anyone who applies for Disability Living Allowance through the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) will now be assessed under the Personal Independence Payment scheme (PIP). More information about PIP
  • Registered blind (not partially sighted) with Waltham Forest
  • Receive a War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
  • Use a vehicle supplied under the Motability Scheme
  • Have a severe disability in both upper limbs, regularly drive a motor vehicle but cannot turn the steering wheel of a motor vehicle by hand even if that wheel has been fitted with a turning knob

Children under two do not qualify unless they have a condition that requires their carer to constantly carry bulky medical equipment for them. A photograph of the child is required.

Discretionary entitlement

People who don't meet the automatic criteria can apply for a discretionary badge. You may be entitled if you have:

  • Have a permanent and substantial disability, which means you are unable to walk, or have very considerable difficulty walking
  • Have a life threatening condition or any other obvious degenerative physical disability

People with behavioural problems are not eligible for a badge unless they also have considerable difficulty in walking.

People with a psychological disability, such as Alzheimer’s disease and who experience considerable difficulty in walking will be given consideration for a badge under the discretionary criteria.

You may be required to attend an assessment with our occupational therapist.

Medical conditions that do not automatically qualify for a Blue Badge

The following medical conditions on their own do not qualify for a Blue Badge. However, people who live with these conditions and also have mobility issues may be eligible for a Blue badge.

  • ADHD
  • Asthma
  • Autism
  • Broken limbs
  • Cholesterol
  • Crohns disease
  • Deafness
  • Dementia
  • Diabetes
  • Dyspraxia
  • Dizziness
  • Downs Syndrome
  • Dyslexia,
  • Global development delay
  • Gout
  • Headaches
  • High blood pressure
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome
  • Leg ulcers
  • Mental health disorders
  • Obesity
  • Old age
  • Panic attacks
  • Phobias
  • Sickle cell anaemia
  • Varicose veins
  • Vertigo

How do I apply for a Blue Badge?

Once completed, the application form and supporting evidence can be returned:

By post to The Mobility Team
Waltham Forest Town Hall
Forest Road
Walthamstow, E17 4JF
The Mobility Team is unable to see personal callers.

Or in person at a Library Plus branch.

You will need to supply the following with your application:

  • One passport size photographs, with your name and date printed on the back
  • A copy of proof of address such as a current council tax bill or tenancy agreement or a utility bill dated within the last three months
  • A copy of confirmation of identity such as a national insurance card, medical card or passport
  • A copy of evidence of higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (if applicable)

How long does it take?

If you meet the automatic criteria we will approve your badge within five working days of us receiving a correctly completed application form.

Applications received under the discretionary criteria can take up to 28 days of us of us receiving all the required information. This is because we may need to arrange an assessment for you.

What do I do if my badge is faded or I have lost it or had it stolen?

If you have lost or had your badge stolen you must report it to your local police station. They will provide you with a lost property or crime reference number.

Download and complete the replacement badge form.

You can also request an application form from by calling Waltham Forest Direct on 020 8496 3000 and asking them to send you one.

If your badge has faded or been damaged you must return it with the replacement badge form.

You will also need to send us one passport sized photograph, with your name and date printed on the back.

Misuse of the Blue Badge

If a badge is misused, we have the right to withdraw it immediately if the:

  • Holder is not the person they claim to be
  • Holder allows an unauthorised person to display the badge
  • Badge was obtained by false representation

It is a criminal offence for any unauthorised person to use a badge assigned to someone else. If they do so, they are liable to a fine of up to £1,000.

It is also a criminal offence to drive a vehicle displaying a badge unless the badge holder is either driving or is a passenger in the vehicle.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Back to TOP

Contact details