On this page:
- Council structure, pay scales and senior officer pay
- Waltham Forest Pay Policy Statements
- Council spending
- Council budget movements (virements)
- Parking account
- Corporate credit cards
- Council contracts and tenders
- Engagement and consultation
- External audits and assessments of the Council
- Food safety inspections
- Freedom of Information and complaining about Council services
- Governance and decision making
- Members allowances, expenses and expressions of interest
- Council property list
These pages provide you with the opportunity to view a wide range of information including all payments we make to external providers that is over £250, and details of chief officer pay. It also shows you how to get in contact with us if you have questions or simply want to know more.
Council structure, pay scales and senior officer pay
- The Council's organisation chart is available online
- The payscales for Waltham Forest Council staff are available online
These payscales and the terms of employment for local government workers are determined by the National Joint Council (NJC) for Local Government Services
- Details of senior officer's pay
Waltham Forest Pay Policy Statements
Read the Council's:
- Pay policy statement for 2015/16
- Pay policy statement for 2014/15
- Pay policy statement for 2013/14
- Pay policy statement for 2012/13
We publish a monthly list of all Council purchases showing who we paid, how much we paid, and what for.
From April 2010 to August 2012, and in line with government guidance, we published details of all expenditure over £500.
From September 2012 we publish details of expenditure over £250.
- January 2014 expenditure as a PDF file (853KB) and as a CSV file (857KB)
- February 2014 expenditure as a PDF file (953KB) and as a CSV file (730KB)
- March 2014 expenditure as a PDF file (1184KB) and as a CSV file (941KB)
- April 2014 expenditure as a PDF file (944KB) and as a CSV file (940KB)
- May 2014 expenditure as a PDF file (898KB) and as a CSV file (630KB)
- June 2014 expendituer as a PDF file (393KB) and as a CSV file (802KB)
- July 2014 expenditure as a PDF file (240KB) and as a CSV file (889KB)
- August 2014 expenditure as a PDF file (206KB) and as a CSV file (744KB)
- September 2014 expenditure as a PDF file (409KB) and a s a CSV file (838KB)
- October 2014 expenditure as a PDF file (378KB) and as a CSV file (828KB)
- November 2014 expenditure as a PDF file (378KB) and as a CSV file (828KB)
- December 2014 expenditure as a PDF file (378KB) and as a CSV file (828KB)
- January 2015 expenditure as a PDF file (300KB) and as a CSV file (600KB)
- February 2015 expenditure as a PDF file (300KB) and as a CSV file (600KB)
- March 2015 expenditure as a PDF file (486KB) and as an Excel file (925KB)
- April 2015 expenditure as a PDF file (230KB) and as an Excel file (762KB)
The data in the files
The data in the files for April-November 2010 lists expenditure over £500 and contains:
- Doc. No: Document reference number
- Payment date
- Vendor name: The name of the supplier
- GL Description: Details of what the expenditure is
- Invoice total: The amount paid including VAT
The data in the file for December 2010 and onwards lists expenditure over £500 and contains:
- Body and Body Name: Identifiers for Waltham Forest Council. These two columns never change
- Payment Date
- Doc No: Document reference number
- Invoice No.: Invoice number
- Total: The amount paid including VAT
- Supplier Name
- Supplier ID
- Expense Area: Which part of the Council raised this expenditure
- Expense Type
The data in the file for September onwards lists expenditure over £250. The data format remains as it was from December 2010.
The information published
The Council uses a system called SAP to manage its finances. A monthly report of expenditure is generated and published on this page within 14 days of the end of the month.
The information published includes:
- All individual items we purchase
Payments made to contractors carrying out work on our behalf
Other spend incurred in carrying out our business
- And excludes personal data protected by the Data Protection Act 1998 from which any person can be identified:
- On its own (eg. payments to named individuals), or
In combination with information already held about that person (eg. disclosure of a home address may identify a person)
The file is available as a:
- PDF file for printing out
CSV file that can be imported into a spreadsheet program like Google Documents and Microsoft Excel
You can read:
- PDF files by downloading Adobe Acrobat Reader
- CSV files by downloading the Excel file viewer. Or by signing up for a Google Documents account
- Details of Council finance including its revenue and capital budgets, statement of accounts and its annual audit letter
- Annual public inspection of the Council's accounts
- How to do business with the Council
Council budget movements (virements)
Local authorities are required to show changes to council budgets. The reports give details of the movements between services and an explanation for the change.
Initial information is provided for the last 2 financial years. Future updates will be published quarterly.
Council budget movements for the:
- 2012-13 financial year as a PDF file (321KB) and as CSV file (177KB)
- 2013-14 financial year as a PDF file (379KB) and as CSV file (218KB)
- First quarter of 2014-15 as a PDF file (232KB) and as CSV file (93KB)
- Second quarter of 2014-15 as a PDF file (70KB) and as CSV file (26KB)
Councils are required to publish a breakdown of income and expenditure on the authority’s parking account including details of revenue collected from on-street parking, off-street parking and Penalty Charge Notices.
It is also a requirement to show a breakdown of how the authority has spent a surplus on its parking account.
- Council parking accounts, 2013-14 (11KB PDF file)
Corporate credit cards
Local authorities are required to publish all transactions on corporate credit cards. The reports give details such as the department that incurred the expenditure, the beneficiary and amount.
- September 2014 credit card expenditure as a CSV file (6KB) and as a PDF file (61KB)
- October 2014 credit card expenditure as a CSV file (7KB) and as a PDF file (66KB)
- November 2014 credit card expenditure as a CSV file (6KB) and as a PDF file (62KB)
- December 2014 credit card expenditure as a CSV file (3KB) and as a PDF file (46KB)
- January 2015 credit card expenditure as a CSV file (3KB) and as a PDF file (46KB)
- February 2015 credit card expenditure as a CSV fie (5KB) and as a PDF file (54KB)
Council contracts and tenders
We are looking to adopt an e-tendering system that will enable us to publish tenders and contracts. The following information is available now:
- Details of current opportunities to tender for Council business
- Details of contracts held by Waltham Forest are available on the London Contracts Register
- Doing business with the Council and e-procurement
Engagement and consultation
By engaging with residents and stakeholders in an open and transparent way, we aim to ensure that the opinions and concerns of local residents are gathered in a timely manner to help inform decision making and improve local services.
The Council welcomes petitions and recognises that signing a petition is one way in which people can let us know their concerns.
There are two ways to organise a petition:
- Collect signatures on a paper petition that you then give to the Council
- Post an e-petition on the Council's website for other residents to see and decide if they wish to add their support
See our Petitions page for more details
External audits and assessments of the Council
Information about our external assessments and audits is available.
Food safety inspections
Details of the food hygiene inspections carried out by Waltham Forest Council's environmental health officers are published online on the Scores on the Doors website.
Freedom of Information and complaining about Council services
Freedom of Information
The Freedom of Information Act 2000 provides a right of access to information. A request for information must be made in writing to the relevant department or section.
- The Council's FOI Publication Scheme can help you find information about the Council, its services and activities
- How to make an FOI request
The Council has a complaints procedure for people to use if they are unhappy with the service they have from the Council or ones of its providers
- How to make a complaint
- Annual complaints report
- The Local Government Ombudsman's annual review of how the Council performed when dealing with complaints made about it to the Ombudsman
Governance and decision making
How the Council makes major decisions
The Council has a Leader and Cabinet executive structure, in which the overall budget and policy framework is determined by Full Council (all 60 councillors) with the Leader and Cabinet responsible for most day-to-day decisions. Major decisions for the coming months can be found in the Forward Plan.
The Council has overview and scrutiny committees and panels that act as a check and balance on the Cabinet and review and help to develop Council policies to ensure that they have a positive impact on Waltham Forest
You can also find out about
- Information on the Planning process in Waltham Forest
- List of planning applications, decisions and appeals. You can also view planning applications on My Place
Members allowances, expenses and expressions of interest
To promote transparency in the use of public funds and decision-making, the Council agreed in October 2010 to publish details of Councillors' allowances and the Register of Interest Forms (setting out their financial and other interests in the borough) on the Council's website.
The Council's policy is to publish as much information as it can subject to any legal restrictions.
Information will be updated on an annual basis and, in the case of Register of Interests forms when they are updated.
The published information includes:
- Individual Councillor's allowances under the Council's Members Allowance Scheme
- Individual Councillor's Register of Financial and Other Interests Forms
In addition, details of Councillors' declarations of interests in meetings can be found:
- In the minutes of individual meetings under 'Declarations of Interests'
- In the Ethical Monitoring Reports submitted to the Council's Standards Committee
Details of Councillors' declarations of their receipt of gifts and hospitality are also reported in the Ethical Monitoring Report.
The Council also has an Ethical Framework and Standards.
Council property list
Local authorities are required to list details of the property it owns. The reports give details of the property, where it is, and what it is used for. The report also includes our internal property reference number.
- Full property list as an Excel file (496KB). Or as a CSV file (150KB) or a PDF file (845KB)
- Garage list as an Excel file (495KB). Or as a CSV file (176KB) or a PDF file (1.0MB)
The data will be next updated in October 2015, and will be updated at least once a year.
The details on the property list change regularly. For more information about of the sites on the list please email the Property Team.